Saturday 30 November 2013

Chris James Q&A

Your name:
Chris James.

Where are you from?
Leeds, England.

Name of band:
It's a solo project: Chris James. Although I am also the singer songwriter in Stateless.

Who else is in your band?
In the solo project I work with Nick Ramm, an amazing piano player.

How would you describe yourselves?
Folk, cinematic, organic.

Who are your main influences musically?
My main influences for the solo stuff are people like Bob Dylan, John Martyn, Nick Drake, and Tim Buckley...But I also love electronic music which is reflected in my band Stateless.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Make many albums, tour the world, collaborate with interesting artists, writers, designers.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Working with DJ Shadow was amazing. I wrote and sang two songs with him on his album The Outsider and then we did a massive world tour with 80 shows in 20 different countries. Was incredible.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Playing in Geneva we saw a DJ who scratched vocal orgasm sounds for 45 mins. Cleared the room!

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
At the moment I'd choose my current song The Force (Song For Dylan), it's a dedication to my favourite poet Dylan Thomas, and it's an adaptation of his poem The Force That Through The Green Fuse Drives The Flower.

Where can we listen to it?
the video is here:
And you can download the WAV or mp3 for free here:



Where can we find out more about your music?
My facebook page:
And Twitter:
And download the song here:

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
The new solo album is coming out next year, so stay tuned for tour dates, announcements, release dates.
I also have new Stateless music coming out too - a new submersive multi media project. And, we are currently writing and recording our third Stateless LP.

No comments:

Post a Comment