Saturday 29 March 2014

Wullae Wright Q&A

Your name:
Wullae Wright.

Where are you from?
I am from Glasgow, Scotland; however I currently live in Edinburgh.


How would you describe yourself?
I would describe my music as being largely centred around the rock, indie and acoustic genres. I have a very similar recording and production style for each album, but I do try and keep each album individual. I have other sounds running through my albums such as dance, electronic, hard rock and dubstep. 
As an individual, I like to focus on my music. I enjoy promoting it, and take a lot of pride in this. I enjoy chatting with other musicians and people who listen to my music. I try and be as respectful as possible and thank those who take the time to listen to it. Music is an integral part of me and my life.


Who are your main influences musically?
My main musical influences are Radiohead, Manic Street Preachers and Stereophonics. They have been there right from the start until now in my life. Albums like 'OK Computer', 'the Bends', 'Everything Must Go' and 'Performance and Cocktails' by these bands really influenced my latest album 'The Orange Line'. I am also hugely influenced by Martin Grech, Bloc Party, Jimi Hendrix and Queens of the Stone Age. There are lots of other bands etc too, but these are the most influential.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
In many respects I feel I have achieved what I had hoped to do in music. I have had a mental check list for years, hoping I would achieve them and tick them off over the years. The list has adapted as time has gone on, and so to has life around me. With age and time I appreciate the things I have achieved even more so. 
I aimed to play a well established venue, and in 2009 played at King Tuts Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow. I have recorded and finished 5 albums and several E.Ps. I have been signed by an Independent Record Label, had music featured on compilation albums, and been played on numerous radio stations. These are all achievements.


What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
The answer to this question links very well with the last. I would probably say my greatest achievement or highlight, even though it is not my achievement as such, is the people I have been lucky enough to meet and interact with over the last few years. The level of engagement and support from people has been absolutely astounding. Right from the outset of making music, I wished people would enjoy my music. That people would listen to it, and it might add something to their day. There is still no greater feeling when someone tells me they have been listening to my music and enjoyed it. It moves me in an indescribable way, and I am thankful to every single person for everything they have given me.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
A very good question, one that has made my conscious mind scour suppressed memories. I had to give this one some thought, and one memory that conjures up the same negative emotions over and over is when I made the decision to leave the Independent Record Label I had signed with. It was a tough, but necessary decision to make at the time. When starting off in music, the idea of signing to a label became such an overwhelming dream that I genuinely didn't think it would ever happen for me. To have a label have that much faith in my music was one of the biggest compliments I've ever had in my life. To walk away from that was difficult.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
One song that seems to have taken on a life of its own is 'UFO' from my latest album 'The Orange Line'. I have never had a response to any of my songs as I have had with 'UFO'. I put an unfinished/work in progress version of 'UFO' on Soundcloud years ago, just to gauge peoples' reactions to it. I was then told it was considered for a compilation album through an Independent Record Label. The interest in the song grew and it definitely helped increase interest in 'The Orange Line'. 

Where can we listen to it?
You can hear 'UFO' and the album 'The Orange Line' at my Bandcamp http://wullaewright.bandcamp.com/album/the-orange-line
'UFO' can also be heard on my Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/wullaewright; and on iTunes on Red Dragon Records Compilation album '1st Renaissance' https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/1st-renaissance/id580520000.




Where can we find out more about your music?
You can hear and purchase my albums, E.Ps and singles on my Bandcamp at wullaewright.bandcamp.com and hear by individual songs at soundcloud.com/wullaewright
To contact me you can via twitter.com/wullaewright, read up on my music at wullaewright.blogspot.com and watch live performances and music videos at youtube.com/wullaewrightmusic

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
I've enjoyed answering the questions you have asked, and I would only maybe like to add that I have recently just released a new single from my latest album 'The Orange Line'. The single is 'Roadtrippin''/Survived Unpromised Souls', a double A-side single with two new b-side tracks and lots of extra tracks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment