Sunday 27 April 2014

Lydia Harris And The Soul Garden Q&A

Your name?
Lydia Harris.

Where are you from?

London, UK.

Name of band:

Lydia Harris & The Soul Garden

Who else is in your band?

It's a collaborative project with a reputable production team/band called the Soul Garden (www.soulgarden.net ). Producer Mark Anthony owns the record label (www.digitaljukeboxrecords.com) I'm signed to.

How would you describe yourself?

A little quirky, strange and unique with a retro vibe.

Who are your main influences musically?

Billie Holiday, Little Esther, Janis Joplin, Nina Simone, Aretha, Hiatus Kaiyote, Erykah badu, George Formby, 'BIG BOY' CRUDUP, EARTHA KITT, BIG ELLA, NANCY WILSON, SISTER ERNESTINE WASHINGTON, BILL WITHERS, ELMORE JAMES, THE MILLS BROTHERS, LOUIE ARMSTRONG, SISTA ROSETTA STONE, JAMES BROWN, ETTA JAMES, HOWLING WOLF, FATS WALLER, LOUIS PRIMA, BIG MAYBELLE, PEGGY LEE, MJ (Early years) SKA, REGGAE, THE CHORDETTES, 20's, 30's and 50's JAZZ, 50's AND 60's SOUL, AMY WINEHOUSE, MICHAEL KIWIANUKA, BELLERUCHE, THE DAPKINGS, LISSIE, LITTLE DRAGON, FRIENDS, FINLEY QUAYE, AZURE RAY, MISS BABY SOL, THE DYNAMICS, ALICE RUSSEL AND THE QUANTIC SOUL ORCHESTRA, LADY, KATIE HERZIG, MELODY GARDOT, LEANNE LE HAVES, PAOLO NUTINI, PORTIS HEAD, BEN HOWARD, MARK RONSON AND THE DAPTONE HORNS, OUTKAST, ASA, NOISETTES, BASEMENT JAX, DUFFY, GABRIELA CILMI, NORAH JONES, NU-JAZZ, MARTINA TOPLEY BIRD, AVA LEIGH, RAPHAEL SAADIQ, MASSIVE ATTACK AAAAND SOOOO MUCH MORE! LOVE BIG FAT BRASS,
ANYTHING QUIRKY AND A LITTLE WEIRD!

What do you hope to achieve in music?

I hope to be heard, to be new, to be accepted and for people to love and relate to my music. I hope to merge old and new music and to make something really unique. I want to keep creating, collaborating and writing. I hope to  get better and to really excel as a singer/songwriter.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?

I feel It's a little too early on to say right now, It's the beginning of everything really. I am experiencing many highs at the mo as I've just started writing with The Soul Garden. Mark Anthony (http://www.sureshotproducer.com)  is really unique in his approach to music with regards to production and his style, taste and knowledge of music is really inspiring. Jason Williamson is a wicked keys player and also has a great understanding of my sound and style, I only have to sing one note and he knows straight away where I want to go with it. I feel my abilities as an artist are in the safest of hands right now. Both are a real pleasure to work with so this also has to be the highlight!

And what's the moment you want to forget?

Nothing really...not at the moment anyway!

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?

Ahh tricky one...hmmm... Well, there is a new one we're working on but it's not out yet! It's really funky and I feel it represents my music perfectly. You'll just have to wait and see! My first single is out on April 30th and will give you a great understanding of my style and sound.

Where can we listen to it?

www.lydiaharris.co.uk - you can listen to a preview of 'Real life' here and on April 30th you can purchase it on iTunes.



Where can we find out more about your music?
https://www.facebook.com/LydiaHarrisUK
My website (mentioned above) should tell you all you need to know. Lydia Harris. First release out April 30th on iTunes. Also available from all global major retailers including EMusic, Napster, Rhapsody and Amazon.

Anything else you'd like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?

Get ready for some Retro pumping, funky ass, dope music! Me and the Soul Garden have a lot to say for ourselves and have plenty more to give! Peace, love, Soul n Jazz...always.

No comments:

Post a Comment