Monday 28 April 2014

the Koniac Net Q&A

Your name:
David Abraham.

Where are you from? 
Bombay, India.

Name of band:
the Koniac Net.

Who is in your band?
David Abraham (myself): founder, composer, lead vocals, guitars & keys
Jason D’Souza: Mixing engineer (on my solo release and our new EP), guitars, and back vocals
Ishaan Krishna: guitars, and back vocals
Adil Kurwa: Bass
Karun “K-Pilly”: drums & Continuum

How would you describe yourselves?
We are an indie / alternative / hard rock band. Our goal is to not only promote our own music, but we do our best to showcase indie and alternative bands that are unheard of as well.
Every song I write is more or less a tribute to the various music genres that I love and respect. My main focus: melody (whether vocal or instrumental).

Who are your main influences musically?
Deftones, Helmet, Clutch, Toadies, Superdrag, Catherine Wheel, Teenage Fanclub, Swervedriver, Smashing Pumpkins, the French Kicks, Engine Down, the Revolution Smile, the Stills, Starfucker, Manchester Orchestra, Solar Powered People, Peter Rock, DeVante Swing.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Something that no Indian band has done: international success as an indie band. At the moment though, the biggest dream and goal of mine is to be signed to an indie label (in the US, UK, Canada or France), and therefore start touring and playing live globally. I especially want to play live in the cities of the radio stations and blogs that have and will support my music.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Considering my first album was done entirely by me (the band was formed six months later after I started getting numerous requests from radio personalities to start working on touring in their respective countries), and that I had to network and promote the album by myself, I have been very fortunate to have gotten my music onto over 100 radio stations across 28 countries, numerous blog features praising my album (and now our EP), features by GQ Magazine, Rolling Stone Mag., Vogue, U&I Music Magazine (Ireland), Revolution 360 (New York), MTV, VH1, my songs used by Australia’s drama/comedy series FLAT WHITES, and much more.
There are a number of other moments: I would have to say the three months I sat in my bedroom composing and recording my first album One Last Monsoon (2012), and releasing it immediately it was mastered. In addition, I go into an almost euphoric state when blogs, magazines, or radio stations reply back to my e-mails and simply consider my work for a feature or airplay.
Meeting radio personalities and bloggers from around the world… many of them have become Facebook friends that I keep in touch with regularly. No better feeling than to share a common passion and obsession for music with people from various countries.
I even had a 14 year old girl who msg’d be two years ago telling me how much she loved my music, and wanted to use a couple of my songs in one of her book reports for school. That left me tremendously flattered & shocked (that someone so young actually liked my music to this extent).

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I would have to choose two actually: “Once, I Ruled by Myself” and “Another Point of View (A Halcyon Place To Be).”
Once, I Ruled by Myself: even though I wrote this song, every time I play it live, my hair stands. It perfectly represents what I love in music… the intensity of melody. I love creating vocal & guitar melodies that play with each other in the most beautiful of ways, therefore (and hopefully) evoking one’s own powerful passion for music through the song. 
Another Point Of View: this also perfectly describes what I love doing in music, and how I love to compose. I enjoy creating “happy” songs (chord progressions that are sort of joyful & upbeat), and then halfway through the song, I change the mood to something more serious & far more vigorous. And even though the vocal melodies & flow of the song produce that intensity, creating a powerful guitar lead part in the midst of the other melodies is very important to me too… to make that whole section of the song the pinnacle of emotional potency & manipulation … the absolute crescendo of that composition.

Where can we listen to it?

Where can we find out more about your music?
OKListen: http://www.oklisten.com/thekoniacnet  (you can buy all my music for VERY cheap here)
My music is also available on Amazon.com, Spotify, iTunes etc. (worldwide) 

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
My debut album One Last Monsoon was composed, performed, and recorded entirely by me. I released in 2012, and after five months of radio airplay and positive reviews from around the world, I decided to transform my project from a solo act to a full-fledged (eventually five-piece) band.
Our new EP Abiogenesis (2014) was the first time all five members contributed to the writing and recording process. In addition, all of the songs from the album & EP (and our future second album) were written by me between 2000 and 2010. 

No comments:

Post a Comment