Wednesday 28 May 2014

Joaquim Barato Q&A

Your name:
João Caldeira Bispo.

Where are you from?
I'm from Portugal, but am living in Lima, Peru.

Name of band:
It's a one-man music persona called Joaquim Barato.

How would you describe yourself?
I'm interested in deconstructing the concept of the standard song, while keeping some of its characteristics, and on producing music that goes beyond genre barriers. My music has been described as dreampop, ethereal, post-rock, indie folk, shoegaze.

Who are your main influences musically?
My music is influenced by artists such as Slowdive, Dakota Suite, Mogwai, David Sylvian, Low, Red House Painters, Pink Floyd, Neil Young and Joy Division, among others. 

What do you hope to achieve in music?
My aim is to set moods, emotions and get reactions from listeners with each song, and somehow challenge them to keep an open mind and an attitude of acceptance.
Sometimes disregarding technical rules, I allow my songs to breath their own life into existence, owning their beauty and supposed flaws.
I could say my music is a sort of statement of love for this world, and for individuals as part of a whole.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Every time a new song is born, and every time someone connects to a song, that's a highlight for me, a moment of discovery and awe.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Every moment that has marked me in some way counts, even if I haven't enjoyed it. It has passed, whether I forget it or not.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I have enjoyed composing and producing the song "You Go In Circles You Are The Universe" very much, and have released it recently on my split EP with Finnish duo Flying Cape Experience, so that would be a good representation of my sound.



Where can we find out more about your music?

No comments:

Post a Comment