Sunday 31 May 2015

Falcon Down Q&A

Your name: 
Daniel Childerley.

Where are you from? 
Devon, UK.

Name of band: 
Falcon Down.
  
How would you describe yourself and your music? 
I'm primarily a songwriter. I see myself as a songsmith, lyricist, guitarist and singer in that order. 

Who are your main influences musically? 
Honestly, in the same breath I like to listen to Lionel Richie, Alice in Chains, Weezer, The Police and the Beastie Boys but very few DJs have these artists on rotation slots. Too many other artists to list as I have a very eclectic taste but most nineties grunge bands had a big influence on me.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
I have always hoped to write music that is either going to get under peoples skin and get them connecting with my brand or to land a licensing deal, no matter how big I would like some recognition for my songwriting and I feel that these two outcomes would be a sign of validation for my work. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
Starting out as Falcon Down back at the beginning of 2014. Up until that point I had lost direction and lost more songs than I care to count. This focussed approach and adopted persona is empowering me to write authentic music, undiluted and free of heavy production. Having Stuart Epps give high praise on my track 'Flame' was also an added bonus. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
The way 'The Llamas' ended. Bad times for me musically and I fell out of love with ska music for a while. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
My track Blink Blink from my latest album. It's the best side of me, not too heavy or reflective and not another love song. 

Where can we listen to it? 



Where can we find out more about your music?
Twitter @falcon_dan
My first 3 full length albums, 2 EP's and Christmas single can all be found on iTunes. 

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask? 
I really enjoy writing albums and Mayday Mayday, Pt 1 is the first instalment from the larger trilogy album titled Venez M'Aider, it will be out around Christmas time. 
I made a plan from the outset as Falcon Down that I would be forward thinking, I am on track and 2016 will see the launch of my album 'Guardians of the Analogue'. I will not be pigeon-holed into a set genre, I appreciate that this won't please everyone but I'm not about pleasing everyone. Staying true to my vision and the cross genre songs that I write is key to keeping my identity.
I don't and won't  play covers as I will not piggy back off the success of others. I remain a fan of the old school approach to making music and prefer to master pre 2006 "no one wins a loudness war". Here's hoping that some of my work grabs you and coining those famous words from Aliens "stay frosty".
 

No comments:

Post a Comment